RECOGNITION: Placed on National Register of Historic Places
DESCRIPTION: One of the oldest structures on historic Washington Street, this building was constructed by Captain Abel Lawrence in 1808 and served as a store for his distillery and as a private residence. It later housed a number of other uses such a hardware and stationary store, restaurants, and offices.
The renovation required significant structural work in which the second floor was hung from the floor above. Brickwork was exposed on interior walls where possible and a dramatic 2-story waiting room was created for the second floor offices.